Life can be hard. Our lives are founded on relationships, and if those relationships become negative, we can begin to feel like we’re completely alone. The good news is that you aren’t alone and working with an experienced counselor is one of the best ways to improve your personal relationships and become a happier person.
So how do you pick the right counselor in the Minneapolis area? These are some traits that you should look for in a counselor:
- Acceptance – Being judged isn’t helpful to anyone. A counselor should make you feel like you’re always accepted for who you are.
- Communication – A good counselor should be an excellent communicator who knows when to talk and when to listen. Your session should feel like a conversation, not a lecture.
- Empathetic – When you tell your counselor about your situation, you should feel that they are empathetic and interested in helping you. If they seem distant or apathetic, you may be unable to open up to them.
- Patience – Real transformation takes time, and the right counselor will be willing to invest that time and encourage you to do the same. Being patient while remaining hopeful is always the right path to change.
- Respectful – When speaking with a counselor, you should always feel that you are being heard and respected, not judged.
- Trustworthy – If you speak about a private matter to a counselor, you shouldn’t have to worry about confidentiality. Find a counselor who demonstrates that they can be trusted with your secrets.
If you’re looking for a counselor in the Minneapolis area who embodies all of these qualities, look no further than Dr. Glenn Pickering! Get in touch with Dr. Glenn today for counseling services in the Twin Cities. If you’re not from Minnesota, you can also receive virtual counseling services from Dr. Glenn.